Saturday 7 April 2012

Happy Easter

Hi guys,

Hope you are all ok and looking forward to the Easter weekend. I know some of you don't celebrate Easter, but, even if you don't, I hope you all have a great weekend, anyway.

I will update you on my life, the past couple of weeks. I have finally gotten over the jetlag and have started running again. I will be doing the race for life and so I'm practising as often as I can. I was going to do the London marathon, but I'm not fit enough for that, so I will aim to do this next year.

Let's talk about New York..I absolutely loved it. Lily, my hostess, works for a little local newspaper and her role is part agony aunt, part columist. She is very ambitious and hopes to work for a global magazine like Marie Claire or Vogue. She loves fashion, but would prefer Marie Claire, because she likes to write about other things and Vogue is all about fashion.

Anyway, she has this lovely loft apartment overlooking China town and we went to get Chinese food almost every night. I love Chinese food, especially anything in sweet and sour sauce. Lily prefers the spicier options, which she washes down with pints of beer. We love the same music and she, too, has a lousy love-life. Her last boyfriend turned gay. I told her that he was probably gay all along, but she was convinced that it was her fault. I didn't ask why! One night we went to this weird nightclub. I felt a little underdressed in my spotted ra-ra skirt, lacy leggings and cropped top; most of the clientele were wearing bras and knickers or leather suits with studded belts. I asked Lily why she'd brought me to such a weird place, but she said she went there all the time, because it was the "in" place. The music was mostly unsigned indie acts and the drinks were weird concotions of all the colours of the rainbow. I only had one glass of a drink named "Kiss" and I was wobbling all over the place. Lily is so cool, though. She didn't sway once. Two guys came over. One of them (the one talking to Lily) was kind of cute, in a weird sort of way. He wore tight leather trousers and a fisherman's vest. (my gaydar was on overdrive - Lily didn't suspect a thing, though) and the one who was talking to me was a little less handsome, but more normal in terms of dress sense. He was wearing jeans and a t-shirt and looked as out of place as I did. His name was Lawrence and he was a student at the local Uni. He was reading politics (boring!) He was ok. We had a good dance and a little kiss at the end of the night, but that was as far as it went. He kept asking about the coalition and as I don't understand and don't like politics, there was no future in that relationship. He will probably end up being president now! Oh well. Lily ended up snogging leather pants but I told her that he was probably gay too and so she didn't take his phone number.

Dating in New York is weird too. Lily tells me that you don't really have a proper boyfriend until you're sure you want to keep seeing them. At one point, she was dating several men at the same time and they were all dating several women. The way it goes is, that you eliminate the ones you aren't getting on with, until you end up with one and then you become steady. Lily's problem is that the ones she wants to go steady with have already decided to eliminate her. Sounds way too complicated for me. Here in England, we meet someone, decide they're half-decent and end up dating them for a while. Sometimes, people see more than one person at the same time, but this is frowned upon and is called cheating. I have never dated more than one person at the same time; mostly because I find it hard to find even one person who wants to date me. I know, I know, there was that small situation with Nick and Scott, but I didn't see them both at once, did I? It was a one-off.

Lila has been up to her old tricks again.  I went around to Mum's last Wednesday and she was getting some money out of her purse and I noticed she had a new handbag with a small leather dog hanging from it - a Radley bag! How can she afford that on her receptionist's salary? I confronted her but she just said that she had spent all of her first week's wages on it. I don't believe her. Most people get paid monthly nowadays. I bet she is still seeing some of those older men.

Work has been boring this week. Compared to America, my little town is so small and uneventful. I am going to see an old lady, next week, who claims she is the reincarnation of Marilyn Monroe - should be interesting but if it is anything like the Elvis reincarnation I met months ago, it will be a disappointment.

I am going around to Ella's tonight. She has dumped her fella and organized a girls' night in. We are having, yet more, Chinese food and a girly gossip. She invited Lila and Erin too. I told her that if Lila was going I wouldn't be going and Erin is still loved-up so it will just be me and her. I am looking foward to it.

I hope I get some Easter eggs tomorrow. I love chocolate. I read an article in the Daily Mail, recently, that said chocolate keeps you thin. Great news. Enjoy and until next time...

Callie signing off

xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment