Friday 27 January 2012

What's in a name

Hi guys

I've decided to be a bit more adventurous with my titles now that I'm posting every Friday. I will also post some surprise updates whenever something exciting happens and I just have to tell you all. Nothing has happened this week though. I always take this as a positive; better for nothing to happen than to have something terrible happen, I guess. Work has been boring. There have been no assignments to go to and so Nick and I have spent time going through some old files and generally having a tidy up in the office. It's weird really - it's like we haven't had that much to say to each other because we've had no weirdos to talk about and we are avoiding the subject of our on-off romance. I feel as though moving past the line of friendship has ruined our friendship somehow. I think he isn't talking to me because I refuse to go out with him properly. I know he is reading this but I am not going to worry about that anymore because I want my blog to reflect my true feelings.

Anyway, as I've nothing exciting to write about I thought I would discuss names. Oh, I did get some news; my friend Nikki in Australia has announced her pregnancy. I have told her to make sure she gives her child a good, modern name. It seems to be trendy right now to name your child after an old biddy. Now don't get me wrong. I've got nothing against old biddies, in fact I love them - they make me laugh and I will be one, one day, but I have got something against these modern parents calling their child Arthur, Gladys or Ethel. These names aren't meant for anyone under 60! Why are people doing this? Nikki has promised not to do it, but I'm not holding my breath. I've been saddled with a name more suited to someone older and I wouldn't want to inflict that on a poor little defencesless.

I was watching the news the other day and there was this bit on it about the London 2012 olympics and they were talking to Fatima Whitbread - one of the greatest athletes of all time, in my opinion. The reporter asked her what was the inspiration for her sporting career. I can't remember what she said now but I bet it was her name. I have always felt sorry for her. Fatima! I bet she was so determined not to be fati by nature as well as by name that she started to make sure she didn't put on weight. The only way you could shorten Fatima (and kids always shorten names, don't they?) is to call her Fati or Fat ; both equally insulting. I'm not surprised she is known for her great sporting prowess and physique. I suppose you could say, if this was a possible reason for her sporting career, that her name was her success, I suppose. She is the exception though. Please readers, do not call your child a name that will get them picked on in school. Lila knew a girl, when she was living in America, who was called Annette Ball - what were her parents thinking!

Anyway, I've said my piece. Tonight I've arranged for the girls to come round to my apartment for a pizza and a chick flick. Lila can't make it because she has a date; someone she met while browsing for mobile phones, apparently. She said their eyes met over the gadget display counter. Weird.

Wishing you all a great weekend and until next time,

Callie signing off

xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment