Saturday 18 February 2012

Shaved head Saturday

Hi guys,

I have been hibernating this past week. I went into work on Monday and it was horrible without Nick. My boss hardly speaks to me, anyway, and this week he hardly acknowledged me at all, except to tell me that I had to go to the local primary school to speak to a teaching assistant who has found a new way to teach children to read. I went along, hoping that this would be the start of something big, because if she had, in fact, found something unique, which really worked, then surely my article would be picked up nationally, because this sort of thing is in the news a lot lately. It turned out that she hadn't been doing anything original, at all. Her strategy involved getting magnetic letters and asking children to put them together to make words that "sound right". She said that if children realized they needed both consontants and vowels to make a word, then they were on their way to reading and understanding language. Erin is a teaching assistant and she's been doing something similar for the past six months. As far as I'm aware, this is the norm. It was a total waste of time. And if that wasn't bad enough, a five-year old boy decided to splash green paint all over my new tweed trousers.

On Tuesday, I was watching one of those makeover shows and I realized that I hadn't had my hair cut for a while. I usually like to wear it short and funky but it had grown out, recently and was looking a little boring. So, the next day I booked an appointment with my regular hairdresser, Sam. She's been doing my hair for over 5 years now. Before that, I had a male hairdresser, Alan. He was great, but he got a job on a cruise ship and so I had two disastrous haircuts before finding Melissa, who used to do a great messed-up look, but she got pregnant and so I had another disastrous cut and colour before finding Sam. I used to dread the thought of Sam getting pregnant or leaving the country but after Thursday's disaster I don't care what happens to her.

Sam knows me well. She knows exactly what cut I have and she's been doing it, without asking, for all the time I've been going there. Sometimes, she'd ask me if I wanted to try something different but I'd always shake my head. She didn't ask on Thursday; she just took out her scissors and started cutting away, as usual, asking me about my love-life. Then, without me even noticing, she managed to get hold of a razor and shave half my head! Usually, when hairdressers get the mirror and show me the back of my head I just nod, because I don't see the point of it really, but when she did it on Thursday and I saw my scalp I just screamed. The front of my head wasn't much better, either. I look horrible. I'm glad Nick has left. I wouldn't want him seeing me looking like something like Demi Moore in Gi Jane, or whatever it was called.

Here is my new look:

As you can see, this is a man. I look like a man!! It is gonna take ages to grow. Why did she do it? What possessed her? I think I will need to invest in a wig. In the meantime, I've been wearing one of those big crocheted headbands with a bow on it. At least then people will know I'm a a girl.

I will be staying in tonight (for obvious reasons) and probably for the rest of my life; well, until my hair grows anyway. The worst thing was, that I actually paid for the cut! What else could I do? I think I was so shocked that she'd actually scalped me that there was nothing else I could do.

Anyway, I hope you are all having great hair days and an enjoyable weekend so far,

Until next time,

Callie signing off

xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment